History of Nevilles
Neville’s has had a long and varied career in the service and hospitality industry.
The building where Neville’s Old Bar is now situated was established circa. 1761 (the oldest map of the village of Fethard on Sea from 1761 confirms this). Pre turn of the last century the structure was a hotel. The premises then came into the O’Connor/Neville family in 1910. When the O’Connor/Neville family took over in 1910 the business consisted of a Grocery, Drapery, Hardware Store, Post Office and Bar. It had a large staff some of whom lived in the premises along with the family.
It remained like this from 1910 to 1972 when the bar was extended down Tay lane to include the ‘Club Pub’ also known as the Middle Bar. In 1975 the bar was extended again into what became known as the ‘Back Bar’. The final development in 1978 in what was a busy decade was the closing of the Grocery/Drapery on the street, and the opening of the ‘Front Bar’ in its place. Neville’s now had three separate bars under one roof.
In November 2003 the Front Bar, a traditional Irish Pub was refurbished using salvaged wood from a convent school in Ferrybank, Co. Waterford. The counter is from the science labs complete with gas taps. In late 2004 after receiving a good response from our customers in the front bar, refurbishment plans were drawn up for a more extensive development involving completely demolishing the family house, the back and the middle bar and rebuilding the family home where the middle and back bar once stood in Tay lane. A two storey Bar & Restaurant was built in the place where the house stood on the street. Work began in September 2006 with the new bar opening on June 14th 2007 and the following year on June 18th we began serving excellent bar food. In July 2009 1170 Bistro style Restaurant opened at Neville’s, Fethard on Sea.